21 September, 2011

Developing Social [Networking] Site - PHP

have been challenged by a fellow to create a social networking site for our district. Honestly.. I took this up because I honestly think it will help me learn.

Not only will it improve my PHP skills, but also my SQL skills. I am really looking forward to this. My PHP knowledge is low compared to many, but I believe it should be significantly larger by the end of this project.

I hope to have a rough skin done within 2 months.

My plans for the site are as follows:
  • Post Board (basic 'thread' where all posts go, giant wall) - September 20th, 2011
  • Member Profiles - October 18th, 2011
  • Finish basic posts and communication between members - November 10th, 2011
  • Allow for more advanced post/profile communications - December 1st, 2011
  • Allow for 'Teacher' accounts that will allow teachers to each have their own page, with sections for classwork, homework, presentations, documents, calendar, class schedules, etc - January 15th, 2012
  • Present to the school board - February 1st, 2012
  • Chat system integration (self-coded) - March 19th, 2012
  • March 20th -> Beyond: Re-check all source code. Make improvements where possible. Cut down the source. Continue to elaborate on improvements.

That is a rough outline of when I plan to have things done. To some, it may seem like a long while.. but I will probably be doing this by myself (at the start) and in my FREE time. That already cuts it down a bit :)

Anyway, has anyone else tackled something like this? I am looking forward to the adventure ahead :P

----
This will be my features board that I will keep updated.

Current Features/Advances:

6:04PM 9/19/2011

Added profile images and upload at your UserCP.

7:08PM 9/18/2011

Added checkboxes on post for mass delete.

3:50PM 9/18/2011

Added some MyCode

11:20PM 9/15/2011

Added Updates Page

Past Updates:

-Have a users
-Have individual profiles
-Have a base message board
-Have logout function
-Purchased Domain
-Purchased Hosting
-Added ability to delete posts
-Added registration
-Added a User List
-Added ability to delete users (option does not show up for account UID's 1 and 2)
-Changed some CSS to make things look better
-Currently only Admins (UID 1, 2) can see the userlist and only admins can delete posts.
-Added user profiles
#-Includes UID
#-Includes Username
#-Includes Recent Posts
#-Includes Total Number of Posts

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home